Personalized Meditation Instruction
I’m available on an individual basis for personalized meditation instruction. I can work with you locally, if you’re in the Boulder, Colorado area or can work with you using video chat or telephone if you are located elsewhere.
When individuals contact me it’s usually for one of the following reasons:
- I’ve recently got into meditation, or I’ve been practicing for a couple years, but I feel like there’s only so much I can do without further clarification and support. I’d like to take my practice to the next level and really make some discernible progress.
- I got into meditation at some point in the past, had some incredible experiences and openings, and now my practice feels dry and lifeless. I’d like to be inspired by my practice again, find out what went wrong, and find a clear way forward.
- I’ve had some big openings and insights already, but I’d really like to learn how to integrate them more fully into my personal life. I want to close the gap between these spiritual insights and my daily life.
My role is to support you at every step of the journey, and to serve as a catalyst, speeding up and smoothing out the natural process of unfolding. I do this through a variety of methods, or techniques, but underlying all of these methods is a fundamental understanding that we are all capable of awakening and of bringing that awakened perspective into our human experience. My primary focus is to, as Buddhist psychologist John Welwood puts it, support the work of both “growing up” and “waking up.”
The main method that informs my one-on-one work with people is called Interactive Meditation. Much like a personal physical trainer would help you refine your physical form while working out, interactive meditation allows me to get an inside glimpse into your meditation practice so that we can continual refine your understanding of the practice, on the fly. As part of the interactive meditation process, and this depends largely on your aims, we may work with one, or all, of the following practices:
- Concentration meditation – Train attention and develop deep mental stability and calm, including access to a progressive series of concentration states called the jhanas.
- Insight meditation – Deeply investigate the nature of your experience, generating liberating insights. This method breaks subjective experience into four main frequencies and then re-integrates them into a holistic field of investigation.
- Self-inquiry – Ask penetrating questions that help reveal deeper insight and cultivate “don’t know” mind. (Ex. Who am I?)
- Core Transformation – A powerful dialogue process designed to unearth the deep wisdom of the psyche and then integrate that wisdom into our personal lives.
Logistics of Working Together
I tend to work with people either occasionally or for more concentrated periods of time. In either case if you’re interested in working with me, contact me, so we can set up a free 30-minute session. During this session we can talk about your practice, I can share how I usually work with folks, and we can see if it would be a good fit to work together.
My rate for an hour of personalized instruction is on a sliding scale, between $50 – 100.